School Night for Scouting (SNFS) is a one night event in September,
where we provide the opportunity to sign-up for Cub Scouts at every
elementary school in the entire state of Minnesota and western Wisconsin.
The idea behind a single night sign-up event is to SIMPLIFY, provide CONSISTENCY, and develop EXCITEMENT in healthy units to drive RETENTION.
Who can attend?
School Night for Scouting is for boys in kindergarten through 5th grade; which are the normal Cub Scout ages.
The Cub Scout program is designed to have FUN with friends while building citizenship, fitness, an
appreciation for the outdoors, and more.
What will I do?
The responsibilities for Cub Scout pack leaders are:
- Attend a School Night for Scouting training session in the spring.
- Promote their own Cub Scout pack throughout the summer at events
such as National Night Out, local parades and festivals, etc. Materials
will be available in June through District Executives.
- Cub Scout packs should have a table at school open houses and "meet the teacher nights".
- Packs should have several of their leaders at their elementary school
the night of School Night for Scouting to sign-up new boys and their
- During their School Night for Scouting event, pack leaders should
provide new Cub Scout parents a pack calendar with contact
information, and an invitation to attend a Parent Orientation meeting.
- Parents should be able to stop in, sign up for Cub Scouts, and leave within 30 to 45 minutes.
- Pack leaders should ensure that their Parent Orientation meeting
takes place approximately one week after their School Night for Scouting
sign-up event. This is the meeting to share details on leader
training, their camp and outings schedule, fund raising, and pack
special events such as the Blue and Gold banquet or Pinewood
Derby. These details should NOT be a part of a presentation at the School Night for Scouting event.
- Pack leaders should collect $32 for the national membership fee and any other fees that
the pack may need to collect for their dues. If they'd like, collect an
additional $16 for a Boys' Life subscription fee.
- Pack leaders should take their new Cub Scout applications and fees
to their district turn-in location, that same night, after their pack
School Night for Scouting.
NOTE: District Executives will be ordering and delivering fliers to schools and conducting "boy talks" in schools.