In the great cold north of Minnesota and Wisconsin Scouts have the
opportunity to earn an award few ever have the chance to get. Why go
winter camping? The answer: be a Zero Hero.
During a 24 hour period of a campout, each of the following must occur:
- The temperature must fall below ZERO degrees Fahrenheit.
- The individual must sleep outdoors in a temporary shelter (tent, lean-to, or snow shelter) from taps to reveille.
- No auxiliary sources of heat are allowed.
- Cook outdoors over a camping stove at least two meals by patrol or individually.
- The campout must be a scheduled activity of the unit.
Patches available at North Wind and Snow Base Winter Camping Programs.